Malnad ultra 2022

Pre race: With my head bowed down to Anjani mata, seeking blessings, I set off from the Shivling ashram. Jumped into my jeep and headed off to lower altitudes. Its gonna be a wild 3000 km journey, that's for sure. Without back seats, eat and sleep in the jeep, lovingly christened Haathi. We had spent nearly a month in the high mountains prior, so I was excited to take her down elsewhere.
Reached Gurugram two days later. Halted at baba Prakash Puri ji ashram for the night. Visited Hemant bhai next morning. He was very kind to hand over some gels for the event.
 From there I headed towards Jaipur. Hot weather did not hamper steady going. Rested at night beyond Chittorgarh in an empty field few km off the highway. Lit a fire and took warmth behind Haathi.


 At dawn I was peered at by curious villagers who had walked several miles to take a shit. Women separate area, men separate. This is India in 2022. So much for swachh Bharat mission. I finished my ablutions with them and took off. Roads were terrible in MP so it was frustrating and hot as hell. Indore, Dhule etc bypassed. Around midnight, Haathi was behaving wierd with the lights flickering and battery discharging. I halted at a petrol pump somewhere as I crossed the border. Next day entirely I drove towards Pune. Kedar motors, Karad was my destination workshop. Mr Chaitanya, fixed the electricals and added gear oil on my insistance making gear changes butter-smooth. He didnt even charge a paise. Nice guy.
Crossed over to Karnataka late evening and felt relaxed. Excellent roads from Belgaum all the way till Davangere. Off the NH, I detoured and dozed off at dawn. Woke up shortly and headed to the venue. At Kaimara check post there was the bib distribution. So many old faces, many from Himachal even. Was a deer in spotlights as I'm wary of such situations. Being an endurance athlete, rarely do I socialize as I'm alone training. And when so many people want to greet you, congratulate you, take selfies with you, I'm short of words and akward. Words from back home, "Kutte bhi nahin sungte". My addendum - jab sungte toh "socks sungke behosh ho jaate hain". So after a quick chat with Anand, I took my bib and headed off towards the start line going all uphill. On the climb towards Attigungi, Haathi was groaning, steaming. Stopped her 2 times, refilled radiator water and resumed after she cooled down. Thats how women are, I guess.



Terrible roads through slushy coffee estates. One km before the start was the parking lot and I decided that's enough. Met Shyam sir at the start line and bumped into Rakesh running the 30k. He drove his Vento there and after we exchanged pleasentries, we became camping buddies for the night. Lit a bonfire and it was an amazing night under the starry sky.
As usual, I was a nervous wreck packing my dropbag but somehow managed to get some shuteye by midnight.

Race day: Woke at 5 am to clear skies and took a dump in the estate. Just a banana and bread and I headed to the start line. Had jitters - of the good kind. While stretching, I saw Ashis Subba there and damn! I pointed out to someone - "Thats the guy who's gonna win the race". The course record holder of Buddha trail. I find him and some north-east athletes belonging to a different breed. Looking almost skeleton-like but very strong. They've got a coach and train wisely too. Shortly, the countdown began and I was still fidgeting around with my music. A while later, I rush to the start and leap forward. This is my race. Go, go!


The first section was downhill and we cant go there conservatively no matter what. I set my watch display to show time. Not pace, not heart rate. I was running purely on feel. Keeping the rate of perceived exertion low. This shady course really does zig-zag a lot within a somewhat small patch of land. That's how coffee estate trails are in these mountains. All speculations of rain went out of the window as the sun beat down mercilessly in exposed areas. Luckily this time the course was well marked with sign boards at every km and "do not cross" type tapes blocking the wrong paths/deviations.
My legs were fresh. In Himachal, I had practiced hiking on only toes for long distances. The heel never touches the surface. This was helping me. Especially on such undulating terrain, as soon as there was a climb, my gait became light, nimble and on-your-toes. Not too fast though but not walking gait. That kept the momentum going which was crucial.
Constantly I kept overtaking runners with a quick word of encouragement every time we made eye contact. Remember speaking to Ganesh Katara, Rahul Beakta (struggling with some injury), Lipi Kalita, Milind Kudapa, Amar Ranu and many others too many to list.
On the course were volunteers Ashwini, Sindhu Rao, Brajesh, all familiar faces, doing a great job, I thanked them from my heart.
At the aid stations, it was a 3 step process all along. 1) give empty bottles. 2) grab jug of water and glug. 3) grab filled bottles in my pack and go. (Apologies to the volunteers if I yelled at them to expedite this). I was using the BD distance 15L pack and even with all the mandatory gear, it felt loose and shaky. Definitely not body-hugging so, that slowed my pace for the first half. Was holding the plastic bottle in my hand all the while instead of soft flasks. Not good. There are pros and cons to that, I guess.
This is a fastish course, compared to many I have run. (Give me some 40000 m elevation gain a la Tor des Glacier, anyday, I told Kris after the race). I expected many speedsters to be ahead. I did not ask anyone my position in the race. Something I learnt from cricket. Never bother about your personal score especially approaching a fifty or a hundred. Stay not out, in the moment, because you got a long way to go, to win. Emotions can be your worst enemy. Concurred by the great Kilian Jornet in several of his mind-boggling mountaineering feats.
At km 49, we come across a stream where I slowed down and jumped over rocks without getting wet. My la sportiva karackel shoes (without isoles) was dry and did the job till then. It felt hard and tight inside, without much grip on the worn-out soles. Perhaps, a better shoe would have resulted in better times. Someone here yelled that I was in 2nd place and that really spurred me. Prathap got my bottles filled. Okay, a quick change of top and shoes (Hoka speedgoat 5, which I won in Rinjani earlier) plus a UD race vest at the drop bag. Then the difference was vivid. My feet felt so good inside and I was flying. Fatigue seemed to have disappeared.


The gels and powders were certainly doing the job. The sweltering heat had drained me, but not anymore. (Training in -10⁰ to running in 35⁰. My cross country drive was acclimatization, someone joked) If I could bottle this feeling, I would take it with me everywhere. Confidently ticking the uphils and bombing the downhills. Mentally really zoned in. Having to repeat the 50k loop, I knew when and where I needed to smash it, and there I certainly did. Always thinking push, push. Someone is just around the corner.
Kris from Asia trail master had caught up with me and took a quick byte. He asked me about the heat and I shrugged saying it is what it is.
Somewhere around the 70k mark I met Ashwini and Brijesh, as we enter an estate, just before a climb and back forming a small loop. "Normally how long does this loop take? An hour?" I asked. "Maybe less than that" Brijesh replied. Ashwini asked me if I had seen Amar Subba. Oh no, I thought, that veteran is here too? Ahead of me, damn! Greater determination built-up inside me. Later on did I know she was referring to Ashis Subba. I completed the loop sooner than expected. "31 mins flat!" I yelled at Brijesh, brimming with confidence.
A flat and downhill section can be drudgery during the fag end of any race. I focussed on landing on my toes and keeping it light. Everything was painful regardless. I should have taped up my IT bands with K tape. A takeaway for future races.
Slowly the sun went behind clouds and was setting. I grabbed a wooden branch and used it as a trekking pole. Yes, the going got that slow in the uphills. Counting, chanting mantras, I tried it all. Had to stave off mental fatigue. It got dark before I knew it. I brought out the headlights. Yes, I use two. Plus a mobile phone torchlight. It didnt matter anymore. Nothing mattered at this stage of the race. I was just trudging. End it fast and strong, there's no one ahead, no one behind, I assured myself. Just a creaky body and shadows. Only waiting to hear the gush of the stream at km 99. Again, hopped over most of the rocks. I slipped on the last boulder and splash! Everything wet. Why me! I despaired. I stalled and thoughts drifted elsewhere. My father was immobile and in a vegetative state in his twilight. I remembered cleaning him, feeding him. Well, If he could endure Parkinsons for so long and never complain, ever, till his passing, who am I? What's all this? Thoughts such as these lingered on. I moved on. Soon the finish area lights were visible. On crossing the mat, I pause briefly and glance heavenwards. Done. 🤫. Thank you God. Only then did I realize that I won the race. Now, there's a feeling I cant explain. You train hard (99% time), put in a good race (1% time), and results are evident. That satisfaction is unparalled in the world.




Post race: Many thanks to RD Anand, Shyam sir and everyone who made this event a grand success. Having run dozens of ultras, normally the discussion after the finish is always pessimistic and around what could have been better. Here, I did not come across one complaint or negative remark. Thanks again to Hemant Beniwal and the good people @ Leap gel. It was really helpful, delivered steady calories, no nonsense. Did not eat anything throughout, so it was a godsend.



Second place Ashis Subba entered later and we were both presented with a pair of shoes from Brooks. Aah, serendipity. No medals here. The only Indian race where belt buckles are awarded.





Ashis seemed to be a little disappointed. I would be guessing this is strange for him as he had won every race he took part in, he is so gifted. Did'nt speak much. I realized that I overtook him when he went to eat lunch. Lingered around at the finish line - stinky, dirty, a blanket wrapped around and an imaginary halo above my head. The best place. Watching the runners finish, greeting, laughing, crying, what not. Shared wisdom with coach Kay. As the sweeper vehicle brought in the DNF runners, none of them groaned. We all go through the same, I thought. The craziness of it all, hah. What a day! So much yet so little. Remembering the apt words of Peter van Geit - "die with memories, not dreams".

No comments:

Post a Comment